Night Walk for Edinburgh
Download one of the biggest hits of 2019’s Edinburgh International Festival – Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller’s Night Walk for Edinburgh on your own device. The experience is reimagined for our times, remaining in line with social distancing regulations, whilst enabling you to immerse yourself in the surreal world of Cardiff and Miller.
Following Janet Cardiff’s voice and walking in her footsteps, as you participate in Night Walk for Edinburgh you will be led through the backstreets of Edinburgh’s Old Town, unravelling a disjointed tale – part game-playing, part surrealistic poetry, perhaps even a murder mystery – layered with history, invention and memories. Cardiff and Miller’s Night Walk for Edinburgh is now a permanent part of the Fruitmarket’s collection. Commissioned for the city of Edinburgh by the Fruitmarket.
Night Walk for Edinburgh is a 50 minute walk through the Old Town of Edinburgh after dark. Following a film on your tablet or smart phone and a soundtrack on your headphones, you will walk up Advocate’s Close and along a route that weaves around the Royal Mile before returning to where you started. The route involves c.120 steps up and 30 down, and uneven ground, and is entirely in public, un-invigilated space. It is intended to be a solo experience, but as the walk is at night we suggest that you may want to enjoy it in pairs or small groups with a maximum of 6 allowed per slot. Although it is important that everyone has their own screen and headphones.
To participate in the walk, you will need to:
- Book a time slot through Eventbrite, which you are able to get to the starting point on Cockburn Street in the centre of Edinburgh where you will start the walk.
- Download the Night Walk for Edinburgh App from the App Store or Google Play and have 1Gb available for the HD film
- Prior to your time-slot, download the film through the app onto your tablet or smartphone using a WiFi network. You will need to use the 10 digit Eventbrite Order number to enable the download.
- Have a set of working headphones for your device.
- In good time for your slot, head to the bottom of Advocate’s Close on Cockburn Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1ND. A map is available on the App.
- Dress for the terrain and the weather. If you have any further questions check out our Frequently Asked Questions page.
If you are unable to get to Edinburgh to immerse yourself in the world of Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller’s Night Walk for Edinburgh. Perhaps you are shielding, or are otherwise unable to walk the route. Whatever the reason, don’t worry as you can download the At Home version on your own device and watch it when and where best works for you. Book the At Home version.
You can download the Night Walk for Edinburgh Guide which includes the list of performers HERE
Commissioned for the city of Edinburgh by The Fruitmarket Gallery.
Acquired by the Fruitmarket with Art Fund support.
And supported by The Cardiff Miller Commission Circle
Royal Mile: Dasha Shenkman OBE, Nick Thomas
Old Assembly: Melanie Reid
Advocates: Sophie Crichton Stuart, Fiona and Kenny Cumming, Sarah and Gerard Griffin,
Catherine Muirden and Werner Keschner, William Zachs and Martin Adam
App created by Evan Morgan and Shiyao Zhang
App developed with additional support from Art Fund and Creative Informatics and the Centre for Design Informatics, University of Edinburgh.